Thursday, January 11, 2007

First Week Roundup

It's only Thursday, so maybe this is bad luck ... maybe not.

Italian -- ma dai! I love this instructor and it's getting easier to participate in class. That said, the fall is bound to come soon ... like when I take the first oral exam and sit there trying to remember the word for "go" ... but for now it's fun fun.

Chinese Religions -- Rules About Taking Classes From People You Know. Rule #1: Don't take classes from people you know. I met Dr. Cline at a New Year's Eve party and now not only does it seem weird to address her as Dr. Cline instead of Erin, but when she calls roll I have this strong inclination to answer "Hey! How are you?" instead of "Here." Class-wise, it's going to be really interesting. This tortoise-shell/bone divination stuff is cool. I've got to find a volunteer tortoise and a burning stick.

Journalism/Visual Communication -- I just don't know ... it's a required class for the major, but the professor is one of these superior types who talks down to the class and assumes that all of the students are party-ers and morons. Dude, that's my job. Anyway, we get to learn Photoshop and InDesign, so it's not all bad.

English 399/Television Sleuths -- It really is a class, yes. I'm doing my final project on "Taggart" for those who want to know. The professor is great fun, but the class is especially worthwhile for people-mocking. There are the dudes, who say their favorite detective is Inspector Gadget ("heh, yeah, dude!") or Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers ("ho, TOtally, dude. yeah.") and on the other end of the spectrum are the two Philosophy/English majors who despise television. My favorite is the one who claimed that she hadn't watched television since she was 12 and then later made the bold, shocking statement that sitcoms were really programming meant to conform the masses into predisposed ideals of sociological norms (I'm paraphrasing, of course). Why the f@*&! are you in this class? Is it to confirm your superior status above the brain-washed pedestrians who watch this stuff? Or are you so insecure about your intelligence that you've got to validate yourself with pretentious blow-hole posturing that will show us all how really superior you are?

I'm glad someone else has taken on the posturing job. I was getting tired of it.

No comments: