Sunday, July 09, 2006

Not Too Old Not Too New

Now that my anger at France and Zidane has dissolved into sadness and disappointment I can move on. I've decided that this will be an all 20th Century literary summer. So far the books I've read have all been recent-ish, but not too recent to be 21st Century:

Lady Oracle by Margaret Atwood
The Secret History by Donna Tartt
Thank You For Smoking by Christopher Buckley
and now On the Road by Jack "call-me-Sal-Paradise" Kerouac

I'm going to pass up the stacks of Dumas (fils and pere), George Meredith (there's still one I haven't read yet), and anything beyond 2001, and just stick to the last century of fine fiction. This still leaves me Faulkner and Sherwood Anderson, as well as a couple of other Margaret Atwoods ... although maybe I should have a no-duplication policy to keep favoritism out of it. We'll see. Sadly, the no-21st Century rule leaves out the novelization of "Lost" that mom gave me at Christmas:

Sayid deftly ducked a punch and then landed a vicious jab to Sawyer's solar plexus ... The two of them hit the ground hard, still doing their best to pummel each other.

When will they learn to get along?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I finally was able to get into your blog. It's very interesting.

li'l hateful said...

Interesting good? Or interesting bad? (Funny ha-ha? Or funny peculiar?)